1 V-shaped sleeve badge indicating military rank and service; "they earned their stripes in Kuwait" [syn: stripe, stripes, grade insignia]
2 an inverted V-shaped charge
- to form or be formed into chevrons
- 1963, Lucien Victor Gewiss, "Process and Devices for Chevroning Pliable Sheet Material," US Patent 3397261 http://www.google.com/patents?id=XflXAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA11-IA4, page 14:
- "...the sheet to be chevroned locks itself into the furrow."
- 1983, Allen Sillitoe, The Lost Flying Boat, ISBN 0246122366, page 118:
- "Bull fixed the claw under a batten, strained like a sailor at the capstan, shirt off, arms chevroned by elaborate tattoos"
- 2003, Felice Picano, A House on the Ocean, a House on the Bay, ISBN 1560234407, page 55:
- "Earlier, in glaring winter daylight, I'd first noticed thin lines chevroning off the edge of each eye into the taut skin of his cheeks..."
Chevron may refer to:
- The general shape of a V character, or a triangular shape pointing up or more often, down.
- The punctuation mark seen in Chinese, Korean and Japanese languages (︾), used to enclose vertically-written titles, acting as quotation mark. See Bracket.
- Chevron (insignia), a V-shaped pattern in insignia, heraldry, flag design, road signs, architecture and construction
- Chevron (land form), a wedge-shaped sediment deposit composed of material displaced from the ocean floor onto land by a tsunami.
- Chevron Corporation, a petrochemical company.
- Chevron Cars Ltd, a constructor of racing cars.
- Phantom Regiment: The Chevron is the symbol for the Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps
- Chevron (artist), breakcore artist Jonathan Valentine from Blackpool, UK
- Chevron (anatomy), a series of bones on the underside of the tail of reptiles
- Chevron bead, a particular style of bead also known as Rosetta or star beads.
- Chevron (geology), a wedge-shaped stratum fold
- Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., a United States Supreme Court case
- One way of representing the Hebrew language pronunciation for the city of Hebron
- Chevron (Stargate), a component of a Stargate in the science fiction film and series Stargate
- Chevron plot, a way of representing protein folding kinetic data
- Chevrons (book), a novel by Leonard H. Nason. Copyrighted 1926, it takes place during the Great War.
- Chevron (moth), Eulithis testata, a moth.
- Chevon, goat meat
chevron in German: Chevron
chevron in Spanish: Chevron
chevron in French: Chevron
chevron in Italian: Chevron
chevron in Dutch: Chevron
chevron in Russian: Шеврон
Hershey bar, L, achievement, alerion, angle, animal charge, annulet, apex, argent, armorial bearings, armory, arms, aviation badge, azure, badge, bandeau, bar, bar sinister, baton, bearings, bend, bend sinister, bifurcation, bight, billet, blazon, blazonry, bordure, broad arrow, cadency mark, cant, canton, chaplet, charge, chicken, chief, coat of arms, cockatrice, coin, corner, coronet, crank, crankiness, crescent, crest, crook, crookedness, cross, cross moline, crotchet, crown, deflection, device, difference, differencing, dogleg, eagle, elbow, ell, epaulet, ermine, ermines, erminites, erminois, escutcheon, falcon, fess, fess point, field, file, flanch, fleur-de-lis, flexuosity, fork, fret, fur, furcation, fusil, garland, griffin, gules, gyron, hairpin, hash mark, hatchment, helmet, heraldic device, honor point, hook, impalement, impaling, inescutcheon, inflection, insignia of branch, knee, label, lion, lozenge, mantling, marshaling, martlet, mascle, metal, motto, mullet, nombril point, nook, oak leaf, octofoil, or, ordinary, organization insignia, orle, overseas bar, pale, paly, parachute badge, patch, pean, pheon, pip, point, purpure, quarter, quartering, quoin, rose, sable, saltire, scutcheon, service stripe, shield, shoulder patch, shoulder sleeve insignia, spread eagle, star, stripe, submarine badge, subordinary, swerve, switchback, tenne, tincture, torse, tressure, unicorn, vair, veer, vert, vertex, wreath, yale, zag, zig, zigzag, zigzaggery